Conditions of contract for passengers
The Conditions of Contract (which incorporate by reference Virgin Atlantic's general Conditions of Carriage for passengers and baggage) are a precis of the main principles of the Conditions of Carriage. The Conditions of Contract are contained in or delivered with your Ticket or Itinerary/Receipt. For your ease of reference they are set out below.
- As used in this contract "ticket" means this passenger ticket and baggage check, or in the case of an electronic ticket this Itinerary/Receipt of which these conditions and the notices form part, "carriage" is equivalent to "transportation", "carrier" means all air carriers that carry or undertake to carry the passenger or his baggage hereunder or perform any other service incidental to such air carriage. "electronic ticket" means the Itinerary/Receipt issued by or on behalf of carrier, electronic coupons and, if applicable, a boarding document. "Montreal Convention" means the Convention for the Unification for Certain Rules Relating to International Carriage by Air signed at Montreal on 28th May 1999, "SDR" means the composite unit of currency known as the Special Drawing Right that is the official unit of exchange of the International Monetray Fund, "Warsaw Convention", whichever may be applicable, means the Convention of the Unification of Certain Rules Relating to International Carriage by Air signed at Warsaw 12th October 1929, or that Convention as amended at The Hague, 28th September 1955, or either of those instruments as amended by further instruments of international law.
- Carriage hereunder is subject to the rules and limitations relating to liability established by the Warsaw Convention, or the Montreal Convention unless such carriage is not "international carriage" as defined by one of those Conventions.
- To the extent not in conflict with the foregoing carriage and other services performed by each carrier are subject to (i) provisions contained in the ticket; (ii) applicable tariffs; (iii) carriers conditions of carriage and related regulations which are made part hereof (and are available on application at the offices of carrier), except in transportation between a place in the United States or Canada and any place outside thereof to which tariffs in force in those countries apply.
- Carrier's name may be abbreviated in the ticket, the full name and its abbreviation being set forth in carrier's tariff, Conditions of Carriage for Passengers and Baggage, regulations or timetables; carrier's address shall be the airport of departure shown opposite the first abbreviation of carrier's name in the ticket; the agreed stopping places are those places set forth in this ticket or as shown in carrier's timetables as scheduled stopping places on the passenger's route; carriage to be performed hereunder by several successive carriers is regarded as a single operation.
- An air carrier issuing a ticket for carriage over the lines of another air carrier does so only as its Agent.
- Any exclusion or limitation of liability of carrier shall apply to and be for the benefit of agents, servants and representatives of carriers and any person whose aircraft is used by carrier for carriage and its agents, servants and representatives.
- Checked baggage will be delivered to bearer of the baggage check, in case of damage to baggage moving in international transportation complaint must be made in writing to carriers forthwith after discovery of damage and, at the latest, within seven days from receipt; in case of delay, complaint must be made within 21 days from date the baggage was delivered. See tariffs or Conditions of Carriage for Passengers and Baggage regarding non-international transportation.
- This ticket is good for carriage for one year from date of issue, except as otherwise provided in this ticket, in carrier's tariffs, Conditions of Carriage for Passengers and Baggage, or related regulations. The fare for carriage hereunder is subject to change prior to commencement of carriage. Carrier may refuse transportation if the applicable fare has not been paid.
- Carrier undertakes to use its best efforts to carry the passenger and baggage with reasonable dispatch. Times shown in the timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. Carrier may without notice substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket in case of necessity. Schedules are subject to change without notice. Carrier assumes no responsibility for making connections.
- Passenger shall comply with Government travel requirements, present exit, entry and other required documents and arrive at airport by time fixed by carrier or, if no time fixed, early enough to complete departure procedures.
- No agent, servant, or representative of carrier has authority to alter, modify or waive any provision of this contract.
- When the letters VS are entered in the "carrier" box of the flight coupon(s) this denotes that the actual carrier is Virgin Atlantic or one of Virgin Atlantic's codeshare partners. Any other letter codes in this box denote another carrier. Details are available on request.