Main Content

Canadian visa information

Find out about Canada's visa requirements, and how to apply.

This page is for people visiting Canada, who might need a visa to enter the country.

For information about visas for some of our other destinations, visit our Visa and Entry Requirements page.

Most people need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada. Some people may only need their valid passport. Find out what you need.

If you're flying to or transiting through Canada, you should apply for your visa or eTA in plenty of time before you go.

To find out more about the entry requirements into Canada, please contact the Canadian High Commission or visit the Government of Canada's official website.


What you'll find on this page:

Visiting Canada with an eTA

Apply for a Canadian visa

Information for UK passport holders

Visiting Canada with an eTA

Travellers using an eTA can apply for one online. People who are eligible include visa-exempt foreign nationals, such as UK passport holders. You should apply as soon as you begin planning your trip.

An eTA costs $7 (Canadian) and is electronically linked to your passport. It is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

When you arrive you will need to be able to show that you have enough funds to support yourself during your stay.

If you are travelling with children, and only one parent is present, you should bring a letter of consent from the non-travelling parent.

Apply for a Canadian visa

Visa Central

If you need a Canadian visa, rather than an eTA, we can help. We've partnered with VisaCentral, the global visa and passport experts. For a fee, they will apply for your visa on your behalf. And if you're a Flying Club member, you'll also earn two miles for every £1 you spend.

You can also apply for your visa through the Canadian High Commission in London:

Canadian High Commission

Canada House
Trafalgar Square

Tel: 020 7258 6600

Opening hours

Mon - Fri, 09:30 - 12:30

Information for UK passport holders

If you're a UK passport holder visiting Canada, your passport should be valid for the duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is necessary, but holders of passports with less than 6 months validity remaining might take longer to pass through immigration control.

This guidance is for UK passport holders only. Passengers from other countries should check with the Government department in your country of residence for travel information.