Main Content

South African visa information

What you need to know about South Africa's entry requirements.

This page is for people travelling to South Africa, and covers the requirements for entry to the country.

Most visitors to South Africa, including UK passport holders, won't need a visa if they're staying less than 90 days.

Important information if you are travelling with children: Please read the section below about children carefully as there are specific requirements you should be aware of.

For more information and advice, contact the South African High Commission.


What you'll find on this page:

Apply for a visa to South Africa

Information for UK passport holders

Travelling with children

Apply for a South African visa

Most people travelling to South Africa won't need a visa, if they're staying for less than 90 days. However, if you do need one, we can help. We've partnered with VisaCentral, the global visa and passport experts. They can apply on your behalf for a fee. And if you're a Flying Club member, you'll also earn two miles for every £1 you spend.​

You can also apply for your visa through the South African High Commission in London:

South African High Commission

South African High Commission
South Africa House
Trafalgar Square
London WC2N 5DP

Tel: (0) 20 7451 7299


Information for UK passport holders

If you are a UK passport holder visiting South Africa, your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 30 days from the date that you leave the country. Your passport should have at least 2 blank pages when you present it at immigration to enter or leave South Africa.

This guidance is for UK passport holders only. Passengers from other countries should check with the necessary Government department in their country of residence​ for travel information.



Travelling to South Africa with children

There have been some recent changes to South Africa’s immigration rules. These affect everyone who has children under 18 years old who are travelling to or from South Africa, with or without their parents or guardians. The requirements apply regardless of nationality. In order to be allowed to travel, customers affected by this change must bring the necessary paperwork when travelling.

Where parents are travelling together with a child, the parents must produce an unabridged birth certificate* for the child (certified copies are acceptable).

If only one parent is travelling with a child, they must prove consent, in the form of an affidavit from the other parent, or a court order, or (where applicable) a death certificate for a deceased parent.

If a person is travelling with a child who is not their biological child, they must produce an unabridged birth certificate* for the child (certified copies are acceptable), an affidavit from the child’s parents or legal guardian giving consent to travel, and copies of the identity documents or passport of the parents or legal guardian.

Unaccompanied minors must prove consent for their own travel into or from South Africa, in the form of (i) a letter or affidavit from one or both parents or legal guardian (if only one parent then also a court order under which he/she has full parental responsibilities); (ii) a letter from the person who is to receive the child in South Africa, containing his or her residential address and contact details in South Africa where the child will be residing; (iii) a certified copy of the identity document or valid passport and visa or permanent residence permit of the person who is to receive the child in South Africa; and (iv) the contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child.

Further information can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website or the UK Foreign and Commonwealth website.

*The unabridged birth certificate must display both parents' names on it.