You are here on our website:
Flights to Austin
Hey y'all, saddle up. We’re so excited to announce the launch of a brand new direct service from London Heathrow to Austin, Texas. This buzzy, brilliant city is the capital of the Lone Star State, and the perfect spot for a city break with a difference – as well as the gateway to discover more of Texas.
See the latest travel advice for the US
With our affordable flights to Austin, you’ll soon be taken in by Texas’ chilled-out, eccentric capital, favoured as much by hotshot music-industry execs and film stars as by aspiring artists. Bursting with quirky record shops, vintage fashion stores, and live music venues, the city is renowned for its vibrant arts scene. More than anything else, it’s the music and melodies that make Austin.
- Discover Austin press enter to select
- Did you know? press enter to select
- Events press enter to select
- Local info press enter to select
Tuck into some proper barbecue, tour vineyards and try some Texan wine (yes, really), two-step to live music in a genuine Western bar, explore beaches, canyons and mountains, even learn how to be a cowboy on a real ranch. Everything’s bigger in Texas, and that includes the adventures waiting for you.
Upper Class passengers should arrive early at London Heathrow and get into the party spirit with one of our award-winning cocktails mixed at the Clubhouse.
Things to do in Austin
Live Music Capital of the World
Your visit to Austin has to include a gig. There’s a proud musical heritage here, and in the city that gave us Janis Joplin and Willie Nelson, you’ll find anything from hip hop to honky tonk any night of the week. Catch headliners at the Moody Theater, local acts at the Continental Club on South Congress, or experience real down home country music at Ginny’s Little Longhorn Saloon – a mainstay of the scene for more than 40 years.
BBQ like no other
Austin has some of the best BBQ joints in the state. Prepare to tuck into ribs, brisket and pie – oh my – and much more at Franklin’s Barbecue or Salt Lick BBQ. Oh, and you can’t leave without trying the Tex-Mex signature dish, Queso. This melty, cheesey, chilli dip with tortilla chips is a must-try, so head to local spots like Magnolia Café, Taco Deli and Torchy’s Tacos and get scooping.
Fun in the sun
Take advantage of the fantastic Texan summer sunshine – there are plenty of outdoor adventures to be had in Austin and beyond. Head to Lady Bird Lake, where you can bike around the edges, or head out on the water on a paddleboard or kayak.
Further afield, there are swimming holes all over the state to cool off in – try Barton Springs just outside the city.
Or for something a bit different, travel to Monahans Sandhills State Park and try sandboarding.
Take a trip to downtown Dallas and be fascinated by the events surrounding JFK's assassination. Or immerse yourself in Cowboy culture in nearby Fort Worth.
Dallas is a one hour flight or a 3 hour drive from Austin.
Historic San Antonio is known for its rich Mexican heritage and a relaxed atmosphere. Visit the Alamo and learn about the battle for Texas independence then ake a walk along the river and indulge in some shopping and tasty Tex-Mex food.
San Antonio is just over an hour's drive from Austin.
Head to Houston, the USA's fourth largest city, and discover fascinating attractions, such as the Space Center, along with an ever-increasing number of galleries and museums.
Houston is an easy 2.5 hour drive from Austin.
Did you know?
Did you know?
1. Austin is the state capital of Texas.
2. Austin prides itself on being a little different an "Keep Austin weird" is the city motto. As soon as you arrive into Austin-Bergstrom airport you will recognise a lack of big name brands at the airport…the city prides itself in supporting smaller, local businesses.
3. AKA "Silicon Hills". Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in the US, with high-tech companies such as Tesla, Apple and Meta all calling Austin home.
4. Austin is a music, food and entertainment capital of America. Global events such as South by Southwest (SXSW) and The US Grand Prix are both held in Austin.
5. The Colorado river runs through the heart of Austin it and it has some fantastic lakes around it to enjoy such as Lake Austin and Travis Lake.
Austin events guide
- Black History Month: An annual celebration to recognise the central role African Americans play in U.S history
- OUTsider Festival: Celebrating the LGBTQI+ community through writing, performance, song and dance
- Austin Oyster Festival: A Valentine's day delecacy prepared everyway imaginable.
- SXSW: One of the world's premier events showcasing music, film and interactive media.
- NASCAR: Head to the Circuit of the Americas for this iconic race.
- MotoGP: Spring in Austin means one thing, the roar of engines from the Circuit of the Americas.
- Austin Reggae Fest: 3 days of music, dancing and fantastic food
- Latino Music Month: From Cinco de Mayo, right through the month you'll find a Latino party going on somewhere in Austin.
- Memorial Day: Join Americans as they reflect and relax on this long holiday weekend
- Spring Pecan Street Festival: This bi-annual event features over 300 artists supported by all kinds of local arts & crafts.
- Carnaval Brasileiro: Time to get your samba on as the largest indoor Brazilian carnival on the planet comes to town.
- Juneteenth: Austin Commemorates of the end of slavery in Texas with a parade and city wide celebrations.
- Independance Day: It's the 4th of July, Texan style.
- Blues on the Green: Bring your picnic blanket and listen to, well...Blues on the Green, At Zilker Park
- Austin Pride Parade: With a mission to educate, resource and connect the LGBTQI+ community, this fabulous parade starts at the Texas State Capitol and continues through Austin. You'll find your kind of party across the city.
- Hot Summer Nights Each summer, venues throughout the Red River Cultural District host four days of free live music, alongside food trucks and craft stalls.
- Austin Chronicle Hot Sauce Festival: Feel the burn at this annual extravaganza of all sauces hot! You'll find over 350 types of sauce, so you'll be sure to find your favourite
- Fall Pecan Street Festival: This bi-annual event features over 300 artists supported by all kinds of local arts & crafts.
- Formula 1: The F1 Grand Prix comes to town and goes pedal-to-the-metal on the 20-turn track at the Circuit of the Americas
- Austin Film Festival: The art and craft of storytelling comes to Austin. Got a script nearly finished or need inpsiration for that final chapter? This could be the festival for you!
- Halloween: Calling all ghosts and ghouls as Austin gets spooky. Austin is home to some of the most "haunted" spots in Texas, take a tour to learn more.
- Austin Celtic Festival: Austin celebrates all it's roots, so you won't be suprised to see some highland games or line-dancing going on. (NB you won't be able to bring your own caber to toss - our baggage limits are good, but not that good!)
- Armadillo Christmas Bazaar: Head to the Palmer Events Center for a shopping experience like no other. Find carefully curated art and handmade delights from across Texas and the U.S
Before you set off, take a look at our Austin-Bergstrom Airport guide.
The electricity supply is 120 volts in Austin. Standard British plugs will need an adapter.
Visit our dedicated US visa page, where you'll find lots of useful information on the travel documents you'll need.
The currency in Austin is the US Dollar (USD).
Getting around is super-easy. Capital Metro offers public transport in and around the area of Austin. or you could rent a Bird or Lime e-scooter.
Why you’ll love flying with Virgin Atlantic
Cabins and seats
Our seats have been carefully designed to help you fly in total comfort during the flight, no matter which cabin you're in. Find out how our Upper Class, Premium and Economy seats measure up.
Whichever cabin you're travelling in, you'll enjoy exciting inflight entertainment and delicious food and drinks throughout the flight.
We reward your adventures with Virgin Points. Whether you're taking off, doing the weekly shop or splashing out on an exclusive stay, points make it all more rewarding.