You are here on our website:
Virgin Atlantic Product Upgrades
Ancillary Upgrades between Products (“Upgrades”) as set out below may be available on selected flights operated by Virgin Atlantic:
- Economy Classic to Economy Delight
- Economy Classic to Premium
- Economy Classic to Upper Class
- Economy Delight to Premium
- Economy Delight to Upper Class
- Premium to Upper Class
- Upgrades offered directly by Virgin Atlantic may be available (in Virgin’s sole discretion) on Qualifying Flights on a first come first served basis.
- A “Qualifying Flight” is a one way flight flown on services operated by Virgin Atlantic (but not on flights operated by codeshare partners).
- Virgin Atlantic accepts no liability if Upgrade seats are not available on a given date even though seats in that same product may still be available at a different fare or booking class.
- Subject to availability, passengers may Upgrade on individual sectors and multi-sector journeys.
- If there are multiple passengers travelling on the same booking, all passengers in the booking must Upgrade.
- The fee is calculated on a per passenger, per sector basis and is inclusive of all applicable taxes, fees, charges & carrier imposed surcharges (the “Upgrade Fee”).
- All fare rules associated with the original ticket purchase still apply (including fare refunds).
- Upgrades are not transferable to another passenger and no cash or credit alternatives will be offered.
- The Upgrade Fee is non-refundable (even if the ticket itself is refundable). The only exceptions are:
- when as a result of operational, safety, security or other circumstances we are unable to provide seating in the upgraded product;
- when a flight is cancelled or diverted due to operational irregularities and passengers are re-protected on alternative flights where seating in a similar product cannot be offered and/or is unavailable. This includes flights on other airlines;
Where a passenger is re-booked on Virgin Atlantic, we will attempt to accommodate a passenger in the product for which an Upgrade Fee has been paid subject to availability. If seats in Economy Delight/Premium /Upper Class are not available, the Upgrade Fee will be refunded and the passenger will be seated in the product as purchased on their original ticket.
- Passengers who are denied boarding due to flight oversales may be able to use their Upgrade on their alternative travel date if the new flight is operated by Virgin Atlantic and there is availability. If there is no availability on the alternative Virgin Atlantic flight or passengers are re-protected on another airline, a full refund including any taxes paid will be given;
- If a passenger is unable to sit in the specific seat they have selected because of an injury (e.g. they have broken a leg, a full refund including any taxes paid will be given).
- Passengers who cancel or change their flight travel dates after purchasing an Upgrade will not have the Upgrade Fee refunded (except any applicable taxes).
- If you are refused carriage in accordance with our Conditions of Carriage, entitlement to a refund of the Upgrade Fee will be at our absolute discretion.
- All refunds will be processed by Virgin Atlantic’s central accounts department in the UK and credited back to the original form of payment.
- When an Upgrade is purchased, passengers will be entitled to the baggage allowance of the upgraded product. Any additional baggage allowance (if applicable) as a result of the Upgrade purchased will be applied at check in.
- Subject to clause 15 below, information regarding cabin specific services and products can be found here for Economy Delight, here for Premium and here for Upper Class
- Where passengers purchase an upgrade into Upper Class, entitlement to the chauffeur driven car service is limited to selected booking classes. The chauffeur driven car service will not be available where an Upgrade purchase is made within 24 hours of flight departure.
- Flying Club Members will receive miles and tier points for the Upgraded product purchased, not the original product purchased.
- Virgin Atlantic does not accept any liability for damages arising from its inability to deliver the Upgrade for whatever reason. Our liability in relation to the non-delivery of travel in the Upgraded product where an Upgrade Fee has been paid will not exceed the individual amount paid by the passenger (on a per passenger basis) including any taxes.
- The purchase of an Upgrade is not confirmed until an e-mail detailing payment and authorisation has been issued by Virgin Atlantic. This may take up to 48 hours.
- All passengers are carried by Virgin Atlantic in accordance with its Conditions of Carriage for Passengers and Baggage and its Conditions of Contract (as may be amended from time to time).
- In the event there is a conflict between these terms and conditions and the Conditions of Carriage, the Conditions of Carriage will prevail.
- Virgin Atlantic reserves the right to amend any or all of these terms and conditions, without notice and at any time.
- These terms and conditions are governed by English law and are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Applicability and Availability
Upgrade Fee & Transferability
Refunds of Upgrade Fee
Baggage Policy & Related Services
Date of Publication: 17 March 2018