Main Content

Chinese visa information

If you're not a Chinese national, you'll usually need to get a Chinese visa.

Whether you’re off to China to walk the Great Wall or you’ve got business in the bustle of Shanghai, it’s likely you’ll need a visa for China (unless you’re a Chinese national, of course).

When travelling to China visa requirements differ depending on your nationality and the reason for your visit. But not to worry – we’ve partnered with VisaCentral to make applying for your Chinese visa as easy as possible.

Passport validity

  • Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months from the date of your visa application. If you have less than 6 months’ validity on your passport, but still have a valid visa, you should be able to enter China for the duration of that visa.
  • Please note - This guidance is for UK passport holders only. Passengers from other countries should check with the necessary Government department for travel information.

144-hour Visa-exemption Transit Policy

If you're due to arrive in China and have onward travel planned to another country within 6 days, you might not need a Visa.

To be eligible under the 144-hour Visa-exemption Transit Policy, you need to be a resident of one of the following countries:

Albania, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Singapore, Slovak, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America

You'll be allowed to stay within the administrative precincts of Shanghai municipality, Jiangsu Province and Zhejiang Province for up to 144 hours.

On arrival in China, you'll need to show valid onward travel documents to the immigration officer confirming your departure within this time period.

How to apply for your Chinese visa

Visa Central

We've partnered with VisaCentral, the global visa and passport experts, where for a fee they will apply for your Visa on your behalf. Earn 2 Flying Club miles for every £1 you spend.

You can also apply for your visa through the Chinese embassy in London:

Chinese embassy

Tel: 020 7299 4049

Opening hours

Mon - Fri: 09:00 - 12:00; 14:00 - 17:00

Search for flights to China