You are here on our website:
Flights to Atlanta
Come aboard one of our daily, direct flights to Atlanta, from London Heathrow, or fly non-stop from Manchester four times a week.
See the latest travel advice for the US
- Discover Atlanta press enter to select
- Did you know? press enter to select
- Get inspired press enter to select
- Weather and local info press enter to select
The birthplace of Martin Luther King, home of Coca Cola and the peach cobbler, Atlanta is one of our favourite southern cities. From the amazing soul food to the soulful Chattahoochee river, this is our kind of heels to hiking boots town.
Begin your holiday to Atlanta in style with our Premium service. Enjoy a glass of bubbly as you board, as well as delicious inflight dining and masses of extra legroom.
Must do recommendations
Martin Luther King Jr National Historic Site
Walk in the footsteps of Atlanta’s most influential resident at this park dedicated to his astonishing life.
When it comes to inner-city parks, the action-packed Piedmont Park is one of the best in the country.
Ponce City Market
From food markets to fashion boutiques, discover a modern Atlanta at this popular leisure hub.
Travel around the 22-mile ‘green belt’ trail looping the city and discover 45 fascinating neighbourhoods.
College Football Hall of Fame
For football fans, there’s nowhere more exciting than this museum, dedicated to the sport’s greatest stars.
Live like a local
From thrift stores loaded with vintage finds to food markets full of fresh produce, discover some of Atlanta’s local neighbourhoods.
Food and drink
Fried chicken; mac and cheese; cornbread; pecan pie…the cuisine of the South is the ultimate comfort food. From traditional eateries steeped in history, to lively joints serving hot food with a side of live entertainment, dine like a local and sample Southern favourites in Atlanta.
Atlanta's also a great base for some mini adventures. Immerse yourself in nature and history by planning a side trip to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. If music is more your thing, take some time out to visit Nashville, America’s home of country music.
Did you know?
Did you know?
- Peachtree is such a popular street name in Atlanta that around 70 roads bear the same name, which makes asking for directions a little complicated.
- Ever wondered why Atlanta’s symbol is a phoenix? It’s because the city rose from the ashes after being burned to the ground by General Sherman and his troops in 1864.
- Atlanta bears the nickname ‘City in a Forest’ because 36 per cent of it is covered in trees – so breathe in deep.
- Atlanta is the home of Coca-Cola (created by local pharmacist John S Pemberton in 1886) so, naturally, it’s the go-to drink in the city. Be warned, you may be judged for ordering another soft drink, unless it’s sweet tea, of course.
- You can also thank Atlanta for hip hop, which exploded here in the 1990s with artists like Lil Jon and Outkast, and labels like LaFace Records and So So Def Records. The city continues to be a dominant player on the music scene to this day.
Atlanta, with its rich history and culture, has long inspired writers and musicians, while in its new position as the ‘Hollywood of the South’, the city is attracting a fresh crowd of filmmakers seeking blockbuster backdrops. Prepare for your next trip with these books, songs and film inspired by, or featuring, Atlanta.
Books, 1 of 3
Films, 2 of 3
Music, 3 of 3
Weather and local info
What will the weather be like?
Before you set off, take a look at our Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport guide.
The electricity supply is 120 volts in Atlanta. Standard British plugs will need an adapter.
Visit our dedicated US visa page, where you'll find lots of useful information on the travel documents you'll need.
The currency in Atlanta is the US Dollar (USD).
Atlanta has an easy to use transport system called MARTA. It connects the airport to the city and beyond. Taxis are also widely available.
Why you’ll love flying with Virgin Atlantic
Cabins and seats
Our seats have been carefully designed to help you fly in total comfort during the flight, no matter which cabin you're in. Find out how our Upper Class, Premium and Economy seats measure up.
Whichever cabin you're travelling in, you'll enjoy exciting inflight entertainment and delicious food and drinks throughout the flight.
We reward your adventures with Virgin Points. Whether you're taking off, doing the weekly shop or splashing out on an exclusive stay, points make it all more rewarding.